City Clerk & City Treasurer/Finance Director


421 Michigan Street
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235


8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday thru Friday


Stephanie Reinhardt, City Clerk/Human Resources Director

920-746-2900 – phone
920-746-2905 – fax

Valerie Clarizio, Finance Director/City Treasurer

920-746-2900 – phone
920-746-2905 – fax

city hall exterior

Sturgeon Bay City Hall

Updated Election Information

City Clerk Stephanie Reinhardt urges voters in the City of Sturgeon Bay to plan now to make sure they have an acceptable photo ID to vote in the November 8, 2016 Election.

To view a sample of the ballot for the ward/district you live in, please stop in at City Hall, 421 Michigan Street between 8:00 and 4:30 p.m. You can also go to and enter your first and last name, and date of birth. If you are a registered voter the information on your ballot will appear.

Most voters already have one of the types of photo ID required to vote.

On Election Day, voters must show one of the following photo ID’s before they can cast a ballot:

  • Wisconsin Driver License
  • Wisconsin State ID Card
  • Military ID Card
  • US Passport Book or Card

* These IDs are still valid if expired after the date of the most recent general election which was November 4, 2014.

The following forms of photo ID are also acceptable:

  • A Certificate of Naturalization, within two years of issuance
  • Drivers license receipt issued by the WI DOT, within 45 days of issuance
  • ID issued by a federally recognized WI Indian Tribe
  • A photo ID issued by a WI accredited university or college, or technical college along with an enrollment verification document. Valid for two years from date of issuance.

* An acceptable Photo ID is not required to include a current address.

If you do not have a valid WI Driver license or State ID you can receive a free State ID from your local DMV if you specifically request  a free ID for voting purposes. If you do not have a birth certificate, the DMV can help with that, too. Please contact your local DMV for more information.

During in-person absentee voting, voters must present photo ID just like on Election Day. In-Person absentee voting begins on October 10, 2016 and ends on November 4, 2016. In-person absentee voting hours in the City of Sturgeon Bay are from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

When voters request an absentee ballot by mail, they must include a photocopy of their photo ID with the request, or the ballot cannot be mailed. However, voters who are “indefinitely confined” because of age, illness, infirmity or disability and voters in care facilities do not need a photo ID. Instead, the absentee witness verifies the voter’s identity. Active members of the US Armed Forces who are away from home are also exempt from the photo ID requirement. Please contact the local clerk’s office at 920-746-2900 for more information.

Voters are strongly encouraged to visit the WI Government Accountability’s Photo ID website, for more information about the law.

The City Clerk-Treasurer’s Office is located at 421 Michigan Street in Sturgeon Bay within City Hall. Ms. Reinhardt is responsible for conducting City elections, maintaining records of all official City actions and notifying the public of meetings. Additionally, many licensing activities are administered in the City Clerk’s Office including dog/cat licensing, temporary beer or wine licensing, annual liquor licensing, beverage operator licensing and others.

In the City of Sturgeon Bay, Ms. Reinhardt also serves as the Human Resources Director. This role includes day to day human resource functions including benefit management/recruitment, maintaining personnel records/files, administering federal and state law benefits, and the overall safety program of the City.

In the City of Sturgeon Bay, Ms. Clarizio is responsible for the City’s finance/accounting activities which include, but are not limited to, maintaining accounting records, preparing financial statements, budget preparation and analysis, and monitoring debt and investments. She is also responsible for the preparation of the tax roll, coordinating the operation and maintenance of the City’s computer hardware and software, and for the City’s property and liability insurance.


As of December 1, 2016, nominations papers for Districts 2, 4, and 6 for the 2016 Election can be circulated. For more information and to obtain the necessary paperwork, please contact City Clerk Stephanie Reinhardt at 920-746-2900.

To view a sample of the ballot for the ward/district you live in, please stop in at City Hall, 421 Michigan Street between 8:00 and 4:30 p.m. You can also go to and enter your first and last name, and date of birth. If you are a registered voter the information on your ballot will appear.

The City of Sturgeon Bay is responsible for administering the elections for the seven districts within the city limits. The three different polling places and corresponding districts include:

  • City Hall/Municipal Building – Districts 1, 2, & 3
  • Bayview Lutheran Fellowship Hall – Districts 4 & 5
  • Jaycee Hall – District 6 & 7

City aldermanic districts have a term of two years and the mayoral seat has a term of three years. Districts 1, 3, 5, & 7 seats are up for election on the odd numbered years (i.e., 2017, 2019, etc.) Districts 2, 4, 6 seats are up for election on the even numbered years (i.e., 2016, 2018, etc.)

You may register to vote at any time at City Hall or you may register to vote the day of the election at you polling place.

If you are unable to be at your polling place on the day of the election, you may request an absentee ballot. An absentee ballot can be obtained by filling out a written request or application. Once ballots are available at City Hall, you may complete the request and absentee vote right at City Hall. If you are out of town or unable to come to City Hall, you may send a written letter informing the City Clerk’s Office of your request to obtain an absentee ballot. Please note that requests should include your City address, the address the ballot should be mailed to, the date(s) of the election that you are requesting the ballot for, and your signature. Without these pieces of information, we may not be able to properly process your request for an absentee ballot. Please note that in order to absentee vote, you must be a registered voter. It is important to get your request in to City Hall as soon as possible. The City Clerk’s Office is required to follow strict deadlines on the last date that absentee ballots can be sent out in the mail. If you have any questions regarding absentee voting, please call the City Clerk’s Office at 920-746-2900.

For information on the ward or district that you live in, which polling place you should report to, or who your council representative is please contact City Hall at 920-746-2900.

The polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on the day of the election. Results can be obtained by contacting the Door County Clerk at 920-746-2200.

Tax Collection Information

Tax bills for City residents are prepared by the City for all of the taxing bodies. These taxing entities include: State, County, City, schools, and the technical college. Although the entire amount of the tax bill is collected by the City, the amount collected is then distributed to each of the separate bodies.

Tax bills are mailed directly to the property owners. If you have a mortgage on your property, contact your mortgage company to make arrangements for payment of your tax bill from your escrow funds. All real estate tax payments are to be sent to the Door County Treasurer, 421 Nebraska Street, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235. Due dates for real estate taxes are January 31 and July 31. All personal property taxes are due by January 31 and should be sent to the Door County Treasurer, 421 Nebraska Street, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235.

Dog & Cat Licensing

Dogs licensing fees in the City of Sturgeon Bay are: $8.00 for a male or female that is not neutered or spayed. The cost is reduced to $3.00 if the animal is neutered or spayed. Licenses should be obtained between January 1 and March 31.

An additional $5.00 late fee is charged for each license purchased after March 31. Dogs should be at least six months old before licensing. Please bring in vaccination records from your veterinarian along with the paper stating your dog is spayed or neutered. Dog licenses are a County license that each municipality administers.

Cats are also required to have a valid license. The cost of this license is $3.00 if the animal is spayed or neutered, $8.00 for a male or female that is not neutered or spayed. There is an additional late fee of $5.00 for each license purchased after March 31. A certificate of rabies vaccination and a certificate noting if the cat is spayed or neutered is required. Cats should be at least six months before it can be licensed.

Alcohol Public Consumption Permit

This permit is issued for groups who have reserved a City Park, through the Park & Recreation Department, and would like to consume alcohol at the park for their event (the selling of alcohol is not permitted.) This permit must be obtained 24 hours in advance and the cost for the permit is $28.00. Permit should be in the possession of the responsible party (applicant) at the park on the day of the event.

Temporary Beer or Wine Licenses

It is recommended that applications be submitted to the City Clerk’s Office three weeks prior to your event. These licenses are available to sell beer or wine at an event. Temporary beer or wine licenses may only be issued to bona fide clubs, fair associations or agricultural societies, churches, lodges or societies that have been in existence for at least six months and to veteran organizations. There is a 15 day waiting period for events lasting four or more days and a 10 day waiting period for events lasting less than four days. Each license must be approved by the Common Council so early submittal is necessary. There is not a limit on the number of temporary beer licenses issued to an eligible organization. However, temporary wine licenses are limited to two in a 12 month period. The cost for a temporary beer or wine license is $10.00.

Annual Beer, Wine, & Liquor Licenses

There are a number of different beer, wine and liquor licenses in the City of Sturgeon Bay. Applications should be picked up at the City Clerk’s Office approximately six to eight weeks prior to the date of effectiveness. The licensing year runs from July 1 – June 30. For more information on the application procedure and availability contact the City Clerk at 920-746-2900.

Beverage Operator’s Licenses

Persons wishing to obtain a beverage operator’s license (bartender’s license) must first complete the Responsible Beverage Operators Course offered through NWTC. There are also State of Wisconsin approved courses on line. After completion of the course, persons must bring proof of completion and apply for a beverage operator’s license. The application is then sent to the Police Department for a background check and placed on the next available Common Council agenda for approval. Approved licenses are then mailed directly to the applicant. The cost for a one year license is $15.00 and a two year license is $25.00. The license year runs from July 1 – June 30 and are not prorated. Applicants should be reminded that allowing their beverage operator’s license to expire for two or more years will result in having to take the Responsible Beverage Operators Course over. Licenses are issued by the City of Sturgeon Bay and shall be used for the purpose of working at an establishment within the City of Sturgeon Bay limits.

Taxi/Shuttle License

The City of Sturgeon Bay requires all taxi cabs and shuttle services in the City to have a valid license issued by the City. This license year runs from July 1 – June 30. The fee for the license is $17.00 for the first vehicle operated and $11.00 for each additional vehicle. A certificate of insurance is required with the proper insurance amounts. If a vehicle is added to the fleet in the middle of the year, it is the responsibility of the owner to add this vehicle to their license. For more information on taxi cab or shuttle licenses or to obtain insurance amount please contact 920-746-2900.

Resident Issue/Concern

If you have an issue or concern that you would like to see addressed, you are welcome to submit your concern to the City Clerk’s office for routing. Your concern will be sent through the proper channels within the City until resolution. Please feel free to submit your concern via telephone at 920-746-2900, coming directly to City Hall, or emailing

Public Records Request

If you would like to request a copy of a public record or view public records, please complete the Public Records Request Form and submit to the City Clerk’s office. This will allow the Clerk’s Office to compile the information that you have requested in a timely manner.